Rotary Youth Leadership Awards, RYLA is a premier youth leadership development program for youths. It is designed to promote proactivity, personal and professional development through a range of inspirational speakers, team building exercises and leadership training.
The last local RYLA hosted in Barbados was in 2018, and in 2020 it was back by popular demand being hosted by the Rotary Club of Barbados. It featured both an overnight and daytime experience for participating youth leaders in Rotaract and Interact.
General Sessions were led by dynamic keynote speakers on the below topics:
- Leadership: 2020 and Beyond! ~ by Past Director Tracey Knight-Lloyd
- Mental Health for Future Leaders ~ by Janelle Chase-Mayers
- The Culture of Champions ~ by Raphael Saul
In between the above keynote addresses participants engaged in thought provoking discussions in the below breakout group sessions:
- Gone digital! Now what? ~ led by Past President Leah Crag-Chaderton
- Change – Own it! ~ led by Past President Alex McDonald
- Pandemic Finance ~ led by District Rotaract Representative-Elect Mario Boyce
- Careers – The New Normal ~ led by Honorary Member Jameela Hollingsworth
After lunch, participants were divided into further groups to present key takeaways from the morning general and breakout sessions and how they plan to apply these points.
At the Presentation and Awards Ceremony each attendee received a Certificate of Participation and the most outstanding participants received a special RYLA Award. This year’s RYLA Awardees were:
Most Outstanding Interactor (Secondary School)
- Anna DaSilva
- Kayla Clarke
Most Outstanding Rotaractor (University Student)
- Director Joelle Greene
- Rotaractor Damon Woods
Most Outstanding Rotaractor (Young Professional)
- Director Kavita Singh
- Assistant Director Chevon Graham
All in all, RYLA Barbados 2020 was a resounding success and we look forward to the next one!